Sunday, July 26, 2009

Cancer Update/Post Radiation Treatment

Well here's the update. I went in for my Radiation Treatment July 13th. I was admitted Monday morning. Ben had to leave before they administered the radiation. So before I had my treatment the "Nuclear Techs" came and prepped my room. As you can see in the pictures below they covered the floors, toilet, sink, knobs, phone and pretty much anything I would possibly touch. While they were prepping the room they were explaining to me what I needed to know regarding the radiation. They said that I was receiving one of the highest doses they give and that's why I am being admitted to the hospital. They told me they didn't know how long I would be in the Hospital. They said the earliest would be Wednesday and It could be as long as a week in a half. I was shocked to hear how long this could actually take. As you can see I wanted to get out of that room as quick as possible. So finally Dr. Uy comes in with what looks like a miner's lunch box and in that was what they call a "Pig". It was a cylinder shaped chunk of heavy metal, it probably weighed 30 pounds. 30 pounds of steal I kinda of felt like superman and they were pulling out my kryptonite. Anyway in the pig the middle was hollowed out and in that was a plastic container with a pill in it. It honestly looked like I was going to take a simple Tylenol Pill but it was full of radiation and Iodine. I got really anxious and a little scared because right before they administered the pill I had to sign a waiver with all the risks that can occur after being exposed to Radiation and one of the more serious risk was Leukemia. I felt like my heart was going to come out of my chest but I knew I needed to take it so I did and I was waiting for something to happen like explode or turn green but nope it was pretty anti-climatic. Dr. Uy told me not to get out of bed and not drink anything for an hour because it was crucial not to vomit. The only way to get the radiation out was by urinating and through my sweat glans. My Radiation dose was 211 micis and to be able to be released I had to be below a 7. So I had some work to do. I drank 240 ounces of water on Monday. I pretty much lived on the toilet and I took a couple of showers. Tuesday morning they came and took my radiation level and all my hard worked paid off, I was down to a 13. I said to the Tech that I'm going to leave tonight and he said it would take a miracle to leave by Tuesday night and told me the earliest I would leave would be Wednesday night and I said, "Game on!" You watch I will leave tonight! I knew that they would come and read my levels again by 4:30 so I drank 215 ounces of water. I was anxious to see if I did it. Well the Tech came at 4:30 to read my levels again and guess what I was a 6.5!!! I did it. He just shook his head and smiled and said " You are a miracle!" I called Ben and he was shocked that I told him to come and get me. He wasn't ready for me to come home because I still had to be isolated at home for 3 days. So I slept in on Kaylee's floor on a foam pad and I had a little dvd player and they brought food up to me and would leave. This was really hard but I got through it. The radiation made me very sleepy but other than that I still just had my normal symptoms . On Monday the 20th I had to go to my body scan to see if the cancer had spread to my skull or lungs and I'm happy to report that I am Cancer Free!!! This was the most happiest and most emotional day since my diagnosis. I am so grateful and very blessed. I am now on the road to recovery. It will take a couple of months to feel what my "New Normal" will be. This is hard because mentally I'm ready to take on life again but physically I'm not there and won't be for some time. I have a lot of blood work coming up and I will have a ultrasound done in 6 months. The last few days I have been experiencing some symptoms from the radiation. I have a constant taste of Salt in my mouth along with feeling like I have metal in my mouth, this has been difficult to deal with but hopefully that will go away in a couple of weeks. I want to Thank my parents and Ben's mom, Karen for all that they have done in my behalf. Thank You doesn't seem sufficient to really express all that they have done for me and my family. Thank You to my brother and sisters and also Ben's family for their love and support. I also have felt Troy's presence and I know with all my heart he was very aware of me. I love you all.
Love Jodi

2 comments:

  1. Jodi-
    First of all, Congrats on being cancer free! I am so glad that you have made it through and are doing ok. You have been in our prayers. I have tried calling your parents several times but to no avail. I have also been wanting to call and talk to you and Ben but I am hesitant to do so because I know dealing with what is on your plate right now is enough, let alone to have extra people calling and bugging you. I just want you to know we are thinking of you and you are in our prayers! Way to kick butt and get out of the hospital!! You are a trooper!! Take care and please keep updating your blog when you can so I can keep checking on you! You are a HERO!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just re-reading this today and it brought tears to my eyes.....you have been through so much, but you are coming out on top of it all. I am so happy that you are through the worst of it all and are on the road to recovery. You are stonger than you think, but you probably already know that.
    Love,
    Katie

    ReplyDelete