Sunday, May 29, 2011

Dance Team Conflict

Hey everyone!! I hope everyone is doing well and is having a good summer so far. So this time instead of my mom updating the blog this time, its going to be me, Kaylee. As most of you know, I am on the middle school dance team and have enjoyed it so much this year. Well at the end of the year, Mrs. Leihsing, my dance coach, puts on a Banquet. Its where all of the girls and their family get all dressed up and goes to a fancy restaurant. There they showed pictures of all of the girls as a baby, of them growing up, and one of them now. Its one of the last things that we were able to do as a team before the 8th graders went on to high school. But there was a tiny little problem... it fell on a Sunday. I found this out and my mom gave me a choice. I could either go to Banquet and know that I wasn't keeping the Sabbath day holy or tell my coach that wouldn't be able to and explain to her why I wouldn't be able to make it. Well being a teenager and as you all know we think that its going to be then " End of the world" , or " Its only this one time, is it that big of a deal?" This was going through my head and then I decided that I would see them in a year and no matter how hard it would be to say no that I wouldn't go. So I turned to my mom and all i said was " I'm not going to go." Then my mom replied " Are you sure?" Well at the time I had just made a hard decision and I didn't need more time to think about because then i would have been second guessing myself. I answered back "Yes." and left it at that. Then I thought " Great!! I have to tell my coach." The next day I went through the whole day thinking of how I was supposed to explain to her why I wouldn't bee able to make it and I felt bad because she had spent so much time planning this for us all. I got into my 7th period class ( thats my dance period ) and we were having study hall. it was about 30 minutes into class and I knew I was going to have to tell one way or another. i told that i wouldn't be able to go because it was on a Sunday and that n our church we kept the sabbath day holy and stayed home to spend time with our families. Mrs. Leihsing just said that was fine and didn't ask anymore questions which I personally was grateful for. But then there was all of my friends, of course they wanted to know more and I told them it was a day to spend time with my family and their response was " Well we are your family!!" And this went on and on and on. Well it came to the Sunday of May 22, day of Banquet. I was super tired because I had just gotten back from Dallas at 2 a.m. with my choir group from school. I ended up not going to church and was very emotional but I held in the tears until about dinner time because that was when Banquet started. I was sitting on the couch and I called my dance coach and the tears were rolling down my cheeks. She was comforting me and told me that next year she would try her hardest for it not to be on a Sunday next year. I felt good because i stood up for what I believed in and set a good example for the others. That night there was a fireside at my bishops house. I went because I felt like it was the right thing to do. We had a lesson on Joseph Smith and I felt the spirit strongly. Later on we were having refreshments and my Young Women Leader comes up to me and told me that she was proud of me for the decision I had made. I felt better and was happy... then my best friend comes up to me and tells me she has a 50 50% chance of moving to West Virginia. Im thinking this is just a FANTASTIC DAY!! But thats okay because I have been blessed that her and her family have come into my life.
But I have a great friend that knew how sad I was that day because I wasn't able to be with the team for the last time this year. So yesterday she took me to the same restaurant that they had the original banquet at and we got all dressed up just for me. I am so grateful for a wonderful friend like her who loves and cares about me. I am grateful that I have my free agency and that I can choose for myself. I am thankful for my Heavenly Father and older brother Jesus Christ. I have been blessed in so many ways and am thankful for those blessings. I love you all and cant wait to see most of y'all this summer!! (:
Love always, Kaylee Palumbo

1 comment:

  1. Kaylee, Uncle Cory and I are so proud of you and the decision that you made. It is the little decisions in life that make a BIG difference! It sure sounds like you have a pretty special friend that would do that for you; we thought that was very sweet! We love you and can't wait to see you in a few weeks!

    ReplyDelete